Sunday 12 June 2011

Humility - True Greatness!

Humility... I am so desperately seeking it. Seeking daily to throw off my pride. So many situations this week could have done with me responding in humility, rather than the pride I chose instead. No matter how injust, or unfair a situation is, I know that as christians, we are called to always respond in humility. And I am so humbled (excuse the pun) by this, because I fall so so short. There are three reasons, well, three main reasons that I seek humility... Firstly, I want to be like my Jesus, and He, despite being God, humbled Himself to becoming a servant. Secondly - The bible tells us to be humble - both these points are made clear by this passage: Phil 2:3 - Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:Who being in very nature God, did not consider equatlity with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, and being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross! The third reason I seek humility is because of a verse in Isaiah. A verse that just amazes me, because, it shows that humility draws the gaze of God. It draws the gaze of our sovereign God! Isaiah 66:2 says - This is the one to whom I will look: He who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word! So, to be clear, I seek humility because 1)God asks me to be humble. 2)Jesus was humble, and I want to be like Him. 3)Humility draws the gaze of God! When I see someone behaving like they are above the rules, or who have no respect for authority, I just want to give them a mouthful. Pride. When I have to be made to feel that my part in my job is not as important as the next persons, I want to tell them to stop being so prideful...but wait...thats pride. pride pride pride. I dont want to be that person that speaks her mind, says what she thinks, lets you know when she doesnt like something. (Although there is a place for gentle rebuke!)  I want to be content in my silence. Content to be hard done by as our Lord was, with the results of being a witness of what a wonderful God I serve. I want to be humble, I want to be able to swallow my pride all the time. I want to be able to swallow my hurt sometimes, instead of feeling the need to bite back all the time. I wish I could call pride a thing of the past...but unfortunately, its is one of those sinful things, that we can never ever say we have overcome, because as soon as we say that, its back again.  I am praying for a humility which realizes its ignorance, admits its mistakes, recognizes its needs, welcomes advice, accepts rebuke. I pray that I can have humility enough to praise instead of criticize, sympathize rather than discourage, build rather than destroy, and to think of people at their best, rather than their worst. If God has taught me anything about humility this week, it is that the only way we can ever be humble is by considering two things, First, Considering God, in His greatness, Glory, holiness and sovereignty - and Secondly, Considering ourselves, in our mean, abject and sinful condition. Only when we truly consider those two things will we ever experience true humility. I continue to fail at humility, but I continue to seek it, and my desire only intensifies. Pray for me as I seek to be humble. Pray for me as I fail to be humble, and choose pride instead. Pray for me as I seek to grow, and pray for me as God throws so many opportunities my way, where I could choose humility...pray that I do!! Pray for me as I pray this prayer daily - and perhaps, you pray it too! :


O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed and loved, Deliver me, From the desire of being extolled and honored, Deliver me,From the desire of being praised, Deliver me,  From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me, From the desire of being consulted, approved, Deliver me, From the fear of being humiliated, and despised, From the fear of suffering rebukes, From the fear of being calumniated, of being forgotten, Deliver me, From the fear of being ridiculed, and wronged, Deliver me, From the fear of being suspected, Deliver me, O Jesus.That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. That others may be praised and I go unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.










0 comments:

Post a Comment